By Al Ries and Laura Ries
- The Law of Credentials –> The crucial ingredients in the success of any brand is its claim to authenticity.
- The Law of Quality –> Quality is important, but brands are not built by quality alone. To build a quality brand you need to narrow the focus and combine that narrow focus with a better name and higher price
- The Law of Category –> A leading brand should promote the category not a brand. You have to launch the brand in such a way as to create the perception that “that brand” was the first, the leader, the pioneer, and the original.
- The Law of the name –> In the long run a brand is nothing more than a name.
- The Law of extensions –> The easiest way to destroy a brand is to put its name on everthing
- The Law of Fellowship –> In order to build category, a brand should welcome other brands. The best place for a Planet Hollywood is right cross the street from its biggest competitor, Hard Rock Cafe.