By Al Ries and Laura Ries
- The law of borders – There are no barriers to global branding. A brand should know no boundaries.
- The law of consistency – A brand is not built overnight. Success is measured in decades, not years. A change of agencies usually signals the end of a brands consistency. Rome wasn’t built in a day.
- The law of change – Brands can be changed, but only infrequently and only very carefully.
- The law of mortality – No brand will live forever. Euthanasia is often the best solution.
- The law of singularity – The most important aspect of a brand is its single-mindedness. A singular idea or concept that you own inside the mind of the consumer. It’s as simple and as difficult as that.